Instructions on how to Write a Blog Article
It is usually written for an English language magazine or newsletter, and the reader is assumed to have similar interests to the writer. The main purpose is to interest and engages the reader, so there should be some opinion or comment.
You need to:
- Interest and engage the reader. Descriptions, examples and anecdotes are always welcome.
- Questions, either direct or indirect are a good idea
- A colourful use of language is appropriate
The register depends on the type of blog, but it can usually be direct and informal. You will be expected to use:
- Phrasal verbs: put you up, check out.
- Contractions: Isn’t that fantastic?
- Colloquial expressions: one of the cool things, I totally recommend it, etc.
- Address the reader in a direct way: What about you?
- Exclamations: …find the answer!
- Have you ever…?
- Do you ever wonder…?
- What do you think about…?
- Are you a… like me?
- Are you one of those people who…?
- What would you say if I told you that…?
Introducing new ideas
- In the first place,
- To begin with,
- The coolest thing about...
- What attracts me most
- One thing to consider is
- Another consideration is
- As for...
- As to...
- As regards...
- In addition,
- In addition to that,
Concluding the article
- In conclusion,
- On the whole,
- To sum up,
- To conclude,
- All in all,
- … you will not regret it!