Grammar differences in formal and informal styles
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Informal Style||Formal Style|
|Use immediate tenses: simple/present
I want to ask about...
I wonder if you can...
|Use less immediate tenses: Continuous/past|
I am writing to enquire about...
I was wondering if you could...
|Use direct statements
I need you to swap this for another one
|Use conditional statements|
I would be grateful if you could exchange this
|Use modals can and will
Can you do this?
Will you come to my party?
|Use modals could and would|
Could you do this?
Would you come to my party?
|Use direct requests and questions
Please phone me
How did you lose my order?
|Use less direct request; yes/no questions|
Could you please contact me?
Could you explain how you lost my order?
I can't understand it
I cannot understand it
|Use ellipsis (leaving out words)
The computer I bought yesterday doesn't work
The computer which I bought yesterday does not work
Can you make these informal sentences formal?
- I am really happy that we'll see each other next weekend!
- Can you give some advice on how to improve my English?
- Congratulations on getting a new job!
- Hope my suggestions prove useful.
- Please inform about changes in schedule.
- Have to tell you about this