Basics about essays
Titles are necessary because:
- A good title grabs the reader's attention (While the opposite is also true, and as your examiner has to read your essay, it is not a good strategy bore her from the beginning.
- It provides a sense of what your essay is about, and in this sense, it makes it easier to follow.
- Essays are usually written for a teacher, perhaps as a follow up of a class activity.
Because essays are written for teachers, the register should be formal.
Their purpose is that you develop ideas and concepts in your writing. Do not get mistaken, you are expected to use little more than your own thoughts. That is what separated essays from reports and research papers.
An essay is not a Treball de Recerca! But that does not mean they do not need structure, coherence and accuracy.
You need to:
- Give opinions
- Agree and disagree in a formal or neutral register.
- Choose whether to agree or disagree with the statement provided in the task or discuss both sides.
- Plan your paragraphs carefully.
- Get some practice in writing appropriate opening and closing paragraphs.
There are different types of essays:
- narrative essays],
- Expository articles or Reports
- [descriptive essays ] and
- Instructions to Write Argumentative Essays .
An essay challenges your capacity to synthesize her knowledge, opinions, experience and argument.
Essays need to be:
- Clear in purpose and direction
Essays have an introduction and conclusion format. The main content, findings, analysis etc. come in between.